Packaging from scratch

Hi,

First of all, I'm very new here, my questions have probably already been answered (although I didn't find these answers...), please excuse me if it is so.

I've been working on packaging something (a scientific tool for RNA sequence analysis) that has never been packaged neither in source nor binary. Most of the material I could find on getting involved in packaging for Debian relates to doing something on an *existing* package so I'm having trouble in understanding the whole thing/process. My first question is: Is it mandatory to provide a source package to distribute a binary one or is a tar.gz archive of the sources enough ?

As for now, the package I have built seems to do the job (I installed it and used the soft succesfully on a Virtual Machine), but I'm not sure I haven't missed something. Is there a tool to check a package for standard compliance ?

Ultimately, when I manage to have a clean package, I will be looking for a sponsor. Would anyone here be interested in RNA-seq analysis and willing to help me ?

Thanks
David