Re: Packaging from scratch

First of all, I'm very new here, my questions have probably already been answered (although I didn't find these answers...), please excuse me if it is so.

I've been working on packaging something (a scientific tool for RNA sequence analysis) that has never been packaged
You may be interested to read the "New Maintainer's Guide" (1) which is also a Debian package that can be read offline. Also I suggest to have a look at the
wiki (2).

1: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
2: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience