Re: Moving /home of a package account, and to where?

On 02/07/12 12:53, Russ Allbery wrote:
Sven Dowideit<SvenDowideit@home.org.au>  writes:
On 02/07/12 02:03, Marc Haber wrote:
I am really really astonished about with which ease we hurl RC bugs at
packages without having thought-out alternatives.
Would it not be better to reject the Debian QA 'suggestion' until such
time as its documented thoroughly in the Packaging manual?
Not using /home is already documented in Debian Policy.  Marc quoted the
relevant excerpt in his original message.

It would indeed be best if everything possible was documented, but very
few people volunteer to do the work to drive changes to the documentation
through to completion.

y, instead they all volunteer to pontificate on details that come due to the lack of detail - like where to put the ssh keys.

ie, having the doc say 'don't use /home' without addressing common reasons for wanting to use /home in that doc is the problem. (And I'd consider them a blocker for putting such a statement in the doc.

but as i said, I declined to do more because dealing with the details meant that every year someone would demand that I undo something i was demanded to do the year before. (The policy on complicated self-modifying web apps is pretty much non-existant)

Sven