Re: Moving /home of a package account, and to where?

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 02:56:13PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 01:04:17PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 12:44:48PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > > Debian QA decided recently that it is bad to have a system/package
> > > account created with its home directory in /home/package, as it is
> > > adduser --system's default btw. I am therefore faced with having to
> > > change /home to some non-/home place. Unfortunately, policy does not
> > > give any hint about how to do it right.
> > >
> > > Where do I put my user's home directory? In this case, the user's home
> > > directory contains a .ssh with known_hosts, authorized_keys and actual
> > > keys and it might additionally accumulate some regular dotfiles.
> >
> > I'd go with /var/lib, which is what most packages do.  I don't count
> > the user-specific stuff to be package configuration, in general.
>
> .ssh is used to log in to another system running my package, it holds
> manually created authorized_keys and keys. I'd call that configuration.

Yes, but it's user configuration not system configuration.
If you do want to have that as configuration in /etc, I'd
suggest symlinking it from /var/lib/foo to /etc/foo/authorized_keys
(or vice versa), like e.g. postgresql handles cluster configuration.

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux    http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/