Re: git-buildpackage: can it recreate the orig.tar.gz without the pristine-tar?

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 13:11:56 -0800 Russ Allbery wrote:

> Miguel Telleria de Esteban writes:
>

> >    ... or maybe subsequent git-buildpackage invocations may generate
> >    md5sum different .orig.tar.gz??  I guess not (although I will
> > check).
>
> Every time you generate an *.orig.tar.gz file from Git (or, for that
> matter, via any other mechanism), it will be different.  The output
> of tar is not stable.  If you want to reproducibly generate the
> *.orig.tar.gz file from your Git repository, you *have* to use
> pristine-tar, no matter how the original *.orig.tar.gz file is
> derived.  Otherwise, you will need to store the *.orig.tar.gz files
> separately or redownload them from Debian when preparing subsequent
> Debian patch releases, or DAK will not accept your new uploads.

Ok, so I was wrong with the idea the pristine-tar does not have an
added value when packaging upstream git-based programs.

Thanks Russ for this clarification.  Now I finally field I have all the
puzzle pieces with me and they fit well together.

Regards,

	Miguel

--

      (O-O)