git-buildpackage: can it recreate the orig.tar.gz without the pristine-tar?

Dear all,

After several months of using git-buildpackage with the "recommended"
pristine-tar option I still keep making myself the following question.

Why does git-buildpackage need pristine-tar to generate the orig.tar.gz
file?.  Can't it just pick the contents from the upstream branch
together with version number from debian/changelog and regenerate the
orig.tar.gz from it?

To see if pristine-tar is absolutely needed for this I have done
different attemps with the following workflow:

1. Set pristine-tar to False in gbp.conf (previously was set to true)

2. git-import-orig a .orig.tar.gz file present somewhere outside the
   working directory.

   Everything seems fine:
   -  upstream tag generated
   -  orig.tar.gz content present in upstream branch
   -  this same content merged in debian (working) branch
   -  NO new content in pristine-tar.

3. Issue git-dch and ensure debian/changelog has the correct upstream
   version (matching upstream/nnn tag)

4. Commit debian/changelog

5. Run git-builpackage several times trying the following options:
   --git-force-create
   --git-upstream-tree=upstream/<tag-version>

RESULT:

   the orig.tar.gz does not get created in the build area and therefore
   dpkg-source complains of not finding it.

EXPECTED RESULT (that I can reproduce manually)
   -  checkout temporarily the upstream branch
   -  generate an .orig.tar.gz from it and move it to the build-area
   -  checkout again the debian branch
   -  proceed as normal

         and it works !!

so why does not git-buildpackage do this?

Regards,

	Miguel Telleria

--

      (O-O)