Re: git-buildpackage: can it recreate the orig.tar.gz without the pristine-tar?

Miguel Telleria de Esteban <miguel@mtelleria.com> writes:

> *  In a pure git storage scenario, pristine-tar doesn't add much
>    benefit since we can always generate an orig.tar.gz from an upstream
>    tag and obtain the same result...

>    ... or maybe subsequent git-buildpackage invocations may generate
>    md5sum different .orig.tar.gz??  I guess not (although I will check).

Every time you generate an *.orig.tar.gz file from Git (or, for that
matter, via any other mechanism), it will be different.  The output of tar
is not stable.  If you want to reproducibly generate the *.orig.tar.gz
file from your Git repository, you *have* to use pristine-tar, no matter
how the original *.orig.tar.gz file is derived.  Otherwise, you will need
to store the *.orig.tar.gz files separately or redownload them from Debian
when preparing subsequent Debian patch releases, or DAK will not accept
your new uploads.