Re: git-buildpackage: can it recreate the orig.tar.gz without the pristine-tar?

Thanks everybody for your answers.

After some review on my files and seeing your responses I can see that:

*  The orig.tar.gz was not created because the debian/changelog version
   lacked a - to differentiate "upstream_version" from "debian
   versions".

   As a result gbp considered my package to be native and therefore
   didn't consider generating the .orig.tar.gz

 FIX (from my side):  debian/changelog version must be upstream-deb_rev

*  I have also seen that I don't need to do any git-import-orig, it is
   enough with tagging in upstream and indicate the upstream branch to
   gbp.

*  And as some people have pointed out to me it is true that the
   generated .orig.tar.gz is not the same as the originally imported
   one.  They have different sizes and different md5sum which I
   understand that it can confuse some autobuilders and machines into
   whether they come from the same upstream origin or not.

Summarising (if I have understood correctly):

*  In a pure git storage scenario, pristine-tar doesn't add much
   benefit since we can always generate an orig.tar.gz from an upstream
   tag and obtain the same result...

   ... or maybe subsequent git-buildpackage invocations may generate
   md5sum different .orig.tar.gz??  I guess not (although I will check).

*  In an scenario where we import an external  .orig.tar.gz with
   git-import-orig, pristine-tar ensures that this same .orig.tar.gz
   will be use as a reference for all package building.

Kudos for git-buildpackage!!

Regards,

	Miguel

--