Re: Changing SONAME in library version

Hi Thibaut,

Thibaut Paumard <mlotpot.news@free.fr> writes:
> Le 14/05/12 11:15, Olе Streicher a écrit :
>> could someone give me a hint on how to proceed here?
> The release team will answer your [request] soon and let you know
> whether it's OK to transition your packages. In the meantime you could
> upload them to experimental to see whether they compile and run fine.
>  [request] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=671853

> As a matter of fact, the new release of CPL fails to build on most
> architectures! This is the reason for all the "out of date" excuses. In
> addition, the package was [reported] to be uninstallable:
>  [reported] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=671675

I know and I am working on this. Since I don't have access to these
architectures, this is not easy. The RC bug would be simple to fix;
I just makes no sense to upload the new version unless I can get the
FTBS fixed.

Some of the "out-of-date" excuses, however, result from the SONAME
change (libcplcore12 --> libcplcore20), and I don't know hoe to handle
them.

The CPL libraries have just two reverse dependencies: only esorex and
python-cpl depend on libcpl*. Both have new versions ready to upload, so
the new triple

cpl_6.0-2 (libcplcore20 etc.), esorex_3.9.6-1, python-cpl_0.3.6-1

could replace the current "testing" triple

cpl_5.3.1-1 (libcplcore12 etc.), exorex_3.9.0-1, python-cpl_0.3.5.1-1

without any unresolved dependencies left.

> You have two options:
>  - work on the current release to get a decent version of DS9
>    in wheezy, if not the most recent;
>  - work on the transition, but it will be a lot of work and you
>    are likely to miss wheezy.

DS9 (saods9) is independent of CPL. For saods9, there is just the
package "starlink-ast" not uploaded yet. Since I already asked Sylvestre
Ledru for an upload (he may be on vacation in these weeks), I am not
sure if I should/could ask someone else for the same issue or if this
may make him upset. If you like, you could anyway review the package

http://anonscm.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/starlink-ast.git

and I would appreciate your comments and hints (as well as on the
current saods9 release).

> To work on the build failures, you will need to:
>  - read the build [logs];
>  - ask for a [guest] account on the portboxes.
>  [logs]  https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=cpl
>  [guest] http://dsa.debian.org/doc/guest-account/

Since I am still a Newbee, I would need a sponsor to do so. Would you
like, and are you already able to sponsor a guest account for me?

Best regards

Ole