Re: Changing SONAME in library version

Am Montag, den 07.05.2012, 15:53 +0200 schrieb Jérémy Lal:
> On 07/05/2012 15:41, Olе Streicher wrote:
> > Dear mentors,
> >
> > I am the maintainer of the package "cpl". Upstream just released a new
> > version 6.0 and changed the SONAME for the built libraries from 12 to
> > 20. So, the source now builds a package "libcplcore20" instead of
> > "libcplcore12". There are a few dependencies of other packages from
> > libcplcore12, which I all maintain myself (esorex and python-cpl).
> >
> > The problem is now that I get migration excuses like
> >
> > "out of date on i386: [...], libcplcore12, [...] (from 5.3.1-1)"
> >
> > which I don't know how to handle. What is the usual way to get rid of
> > these?

> Hi,
> i am in the same situation, and am learning this :
> http://wiki.debian.org/binNMU
>
> Regards,
> Jérémy.

For soname changes you probably wanted to set up a transition.
http://wiki.debian.org/OngoingTransitions
(Usually that should be done before the upload to unstable) The
transistion page helps a lot to keep track of the transistion, so you
should ask the release team to set one up for you.

The release team will then also schedule the binNMUs for you.

For small transisions (only a few packages), it could make more sense to
manually request binNMUs as in desrcibed in the link from Jérémy. The
challenge could be to find out which packages are still using the old
version (especially on foreign architectures), but here your sponsor can
help you (using dak,
http://wiki.debian.org/ftpmaster_Removals#Reverse_Dependencies)