Re: Changing SONAME in library version

Tobias Frost <tobi@frost.de> writes:
> For soname changes you probably wanted to set up a transition.
> http://wiki.debian.org/OngoingTransitions
> (Usually that should be done before the upload to unstable) The
> transistion page helps a lot to keep track of the transistion, so you
> should ask the release team to set one up for you.
>
> The release team will then also schedule the binNMUs for you.

I still not understand: why do I need a binNMU? Only two packages depend
on the shared library, both packaged are maintained by myself and I have
new versions of them in sync with the library. Even if the latter would
not be the case -- since I am the maintainer, I could just upload a new
(unchanged) release to trigger recompilation.

By reading [1], I could not completely follow how the transition is
usually done, who is involved etc. I already have filed a transition
bug. The release team will now setup a transition page, right? What
should I do after this happened? And how is my sponsor involved in the
whole process?

Best regards

Ole

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions