Re: l18n?

Le 13/04/12 17:18, Olе Streicher a écrit :
> Thibaut Paumard <mlotpot.news@free.fr> writes:
>> So you have :
>>
>> - 7MB documentation;
>> - 3MB other ach-indep data;
>> - some arch-dep data (the amount is not much relevant :-) )
>>
>> Is the doc necessary for reliable use of the package, or is is just that
>> you get an error message when clicking Help->User Manual?
>
> In the moment, also the program logo is taken from the doc which is used
> in the "about" message. Both "Help" and "About" are broken if the doc
> package is not there -- and they mess up the application (they create
> unclosable windows). So I think the easiest solution is to create a
> strong dependency.

Agreed.

>> If it makes sense to not install the documentation, I would split in three:
>
> I see a potential use case in installing the documentation, but not the
> program (someone wants to browse the doc on a machine that cannot
> install all dependencies of ds9, f.e. a ebook-reader based on Debian ;-)
> -- however I have no feeling how realistic this is.

Honestly, not much :-) besides, one can also dowload the PDF from the
web... Anyway: in the proposed 2-package scheme, it _is_ possible to
install the doc (+some data) without the main binary and its dependencies.

> Also, with some additional patching, I would probably just be able to
> disable the help if the directory is not there, and make the logo
> optional (the package needs many patches anyway; one more would not
> count).

You can also ship the logo with the data package, not the doc (or both,
with some thoughts). The 3-package option with some patching to avoid
forcibly installing the doc would have my preference. And of course the
HTML should be installed under /usr/share/doc/ds9-doc, with a symlink
wherever ds9 expects it...

> Then, ignoring the doc would allow to have a smaller footprint;
> however the program is only used on machines where a few megabytes do
> not matter at all.

Few megs plus few megs plus few megs make gigabytes...

The proposal for some help I made back when you ITPed ds9 still holds.

Regards, Thibaut.