Re: Binaries with name conflicts

Hi Thibaut,
	thank you for your quick reply.

Il 01/04/2012 14:11, Thibaut Paumard ha scritto:
> Le 01/04/12 13:28, Giulio Paci a écrit :
>> The toolkit consists of 127 simple command-line programs (with a short
>> name), that are supposed to interact each other mainly using stdin and
>> stdout. Users of this toolkit generally install it in a custom location
>> and add that location to PATH, then uses the commands in scripts.

>> how to avoid possible conflicts with other packages

> one solution would be:
>
>  - install the binaries in /usr/lib/bin/sptk/

I do not see any /usr/lib/bin/ in my system. Did you mean
/usr/lib/sptk/bin/?

>  - provide a wrapper script as /usr/bin/sptk such that
>      $ sptk command arguments
>    would essentially do
>      $ PATH=/usr/lib/bin/sptk/ command arguments
>  - people can then use you binaries though your main wrapper or set
> their PATH, especially in scripts.

This seems a nice solution. Is it also common practice?
Is there a good example of a package that is doing this, so that I can
see how related problems (e.g., documentation changes that are required)
has been solved?

Bests,
	Giulio.