Re: Binaries with name conflicts

Le 01/04/12 13:28, Giulio Paci a écrit :
> Hi to all!
> 	I am trying to package sptk (), a toolkit for speech signal processing.
>
> The toolkit consists of 127 simple command-line programs (with a short
> name), that are supposed to interact each other mainly using stdin and
> stdout. Users of this toolkit generally install it in a custom location
> and add that location to PATH, then uses the commands in scripts.
>
> Given that, I am wondering where is the best place for those programs
> and how to avoid possible conflicts with other packages shipping a
> binary with the same name (I already have this problem on my computer
> with /usr/bin/bcp from libboost1.48-dev). Do you have any hints and best
> practice suggestions?
>
> Bests,
> 	Giulio.

Hi,

one solution would be:

 - install the binaries in /usr/lib/bin/sptk/
 - provide a wrapper script as /usr/bin/sptk such that
     $ sptk command arguments
   would essentially do
     $ PATH=/usr/lib/bin/sptk/ command arguments
 - people can then use you binaries though your main wrapper or set
their PATH, especially in scripts.

Regard, Thibaut.