Re: looking for debian developers in manchester to sign my key

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 08:07:57PM +0000, peter green wrote:
> I have been encouraged to apply to become a debian developer by
> Steve McIntyre and Hector Oron.
>
> However before I can do so I need to get my GPG key signed by a
> couple of debian-developers.
>
> Also can someone confirm whether all 4096 bit RSA keys are "sha2
> capable" and if not how I check whether my key is "sha2" capable. I
> don't want to waste peoples time requesting signatures on a key that
> turns out to be unsuitable for debian.

I believe so.  But to test, just try signing a file with
e.g. "gpg --clearsign", and check the hash at the top.  It's also
possible to configure gpg to use different hashes, but in my
experience, it defaults to SHA2[56] with 4096 bit RSA with
current GnuPG versions.

> I am currently a PHD student at the university of manchester than
> the uni would be my preffered meeting location though I will also
> consider other public places. I do not want to travel to the home of
> someone I do not know.

I'm not in Manchester, I'm afraid; I'm a researcher at the
University of York.  If you did want to venture out of Manchester,
I would certainly be willing to meet up in York, and there are
other DDs also in York who would be happy to meet up for keysigning;
probably even more so if it involved meeting up in a nice pub (of
which York has many)!

(I got my key signed by Paul Martin originally in Manchester... in
April 2002... yikes! and had to travel to Manchester for the day to
meet him.  My first and only tour around an ISP!)

Also, FYI, there's a Debian-UK mailing list.  You might have
more success asking there.  And as a developer in the UK, you
would also be welcome on the list in any case.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh