Re: Tracking RFSs as bugs

* Michael Tautschnig <mt@debian.org>, 2011-09-05, 20:51:
I've noticed that the release team has a lot of success addressing their issues in a rather timely manner. I think that this success comes from the fact that they treat all of the items they need to accomplish as bugs [0]. So, as requests get old, they notice that and do something about it (or they just close it out if the submitter isn't responsive).

This is not a new idea:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2002/08/msg00262.html

I'm all for tracking RFS in some more formal way, it would quite a bit reduce the load on my inbox (which I'm currently using for tracking).

Same here.

There is one fundamental difference, however, to, e.g, the release team: there is no *team*. Who are "they" in case of sponsoring? What makes the situation worse is that the number of people filing RFS is unbounded, this process is open to everyone (don't get me wrong, this is a good thing in general).

I don't think technical infrastructure alone will solve those problems.

Of course it won't, but that's not a reason not to think about improvements.

In fact, mentors.debian.net would already have all the necessary infrastructure: packages are uploaded there and hence tracked. It is possible to leave comments, and maybe this whole RFS business should just move over to mentors.debian.net.

I can't talk to debexpo using my MUA. This is a big no-go for me.

Oh, and with all this moaning about RFS not being dealt with in a timely manner: true, we don't manage to get packages reviewed and sponsored within 4 days, but is the situation really that bad at the moment? Are there any packages older than one month still waiting for sponsorship?

Probably dozens of them...

--
Jakub Wilk