Re: Solving lintian warnings for multi-package roxterm

Tony Houghton <h@realh.co.uk> writes:

> I've split roxterm in to three packages:

> roxterm-legacy: binaries compiled and linked with GTK2
> roxterm: binaries compiled and linked with GTK3
> roxterm-common: All the other files

> roxterm-legacy and roxterm Conflict with each other and both depend on
> roxterm-common.

> I've got 3 lintian warnings:

> W: roxterm-legacy: menu-icon-missing usr/share/pixmaps/roxterm.xpm
> W: roxterm: menu-icon-missing usr/share/pixmaps/roxterm.xpm
> W: roxterm-common: desktop-command-not-in-package usr/share/applications/roxterm.desktop roxterm

I would leave the menu icon in roxterm-common, but I would indeed move the
desktop entry into the separate packages.  In general, one should put the
desktop file in the package that also contains the command.  The amount of
space savings by putting that tiny text file in a separate common package
just isn't worth it, and that way the desktop file is only installed when
the command is available.