Re: Solving lintian warnings for multi-package roxterm

David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 00:58, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> You can't use disappearing packages with Policy-compliant packages so
>> far as I can tell, since it would require both packages provide the
>> same /usr/share/doc directory and changelog file, which is a Policy
>> violation.

> oldpkg depends on newpkg - and in terms of a package rename it should be
> coming from the same source package.  /usr/share/doc/oldpkg is a link to
> /usr/share/doc/newpkg in both, the oldpkg and the newpkg, so that new-
> can take over the last remaining file of oldpkg.

> Isn't that exactly what §12.5 allows?

Yes, but 12.5 is wrong in implying this is always permitted, because such
packages do not provide a valid changelog in all situations.  It only
works if both packages are arch: all and have a specific versioned
dependency (with =).  At that point, you've narrowed the usability so much
that I'm not sure there's any point in pursuing this technique.