Re: RFS: wizznic

Hi Peter,

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 13:18 +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 08:52:37AM +0200, Kilian Krause wrote:
> > Hi Tony,

> [snip]
> >
> > 4.) Having +dfsg as delimiter can be quite harmful. Usually ~dfsg is the
> > preferred method as this will always be lower than the upstream version.
> > Thus no matter what the next upstream version will look like, you can
> > bump your package up to that version.
>
> Errr...  Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is that?  How exactly
> can having "+dfsg" be harmful?
>
> My understanding is that both "+dfsg" and "~dfsg" are acceptable and it
> is only ".dfsg" that may indeed be harmful if upstream decides to
> release a next version with a new component that sorts lower than, well,
> "dfsg" :)  However, I really don't see what upstream's next version
> number has to be so that it will cause problems with "+dfsg"; could you
> please provide an example?

If upstream bumps 0.9.2-preview2 to 0.9.2-preview2+ABBA (considering
they have new ABBA tracks that are now available as musical score - just
for making a point here) what then? This is what will happen:

Checking for 0.9.2-preview2+dfsg-1 <= 0.9.2-preview2+ABBA+dfsg-1 will
fail.

Not that it's highly likely that this will happen a lot, but to not have
to worry about such problems, I'd recommend always using ~dfsg instead
of any other notation.

--
Best regards,
Kilian