Re: RFS: xnoise (2nd try)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:03:24PM +0200, shuerhaaken wrote:
> > That's what Suggests/Recommends are made for. E.g. Rhythmbox Recommends
> > rhythmbox-plugins, quodlibet Suggests quodlibet-plugins... From Policy §7.2
> > "The Recommends field should list packages that would be found together with
> > this one in all but unusual installations": seems what you need.
> >
> > My suggestion was mainly based on personal preference (I like to choose if I
> > actually want the plugins or not, if they are not strictly needed) and on
> > what other packages do. It is not a requirement, hence you can do whatever
> > you want.
>
> If that's the Debian way, I will just leave it like that and ship an
> extra package for xnoise-plugins

Ok, there are a couple of issue thought:
- you should append something like " (plugins)" to the short description so
that it does not duplicate the description of the main package.
- the -plugins package right now Depends on various -dev packages. I do not
think they are needed.

Also, libcairo-dev is duplicated in Build-Depends.

> > Btw, the package didn't show up on mentors.d.n yet, hence I couldn't check
> > the modifications you did (it may just be a problem of mentors.d.n... it
> > happens sometimes).
>
> Hmm. I uploaded and it was visible here:
> http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=xnoise
> But I also couldn't get it via repo. So I'll upload again in a few
> minutes.

I can see it now.

> > Final suggestion (I forgot to say this in the previous email), you may want
> > to join the Debian Multimedia Team [0] to maintain this package (it
> > would be easier for you to find an uploader and some help to maintain the
> > package). Please have a look at our policies [1] (maintain the package on
> > git using git-buildpackage, "Debian Multimedia Team" is the Maintainer and
> > you the Uploader, ...). If you are interested and ok with our workflow feel
> > free to subscribe and post this RFS to the team's mailing list [2] (you will
> > also need an account on alioth.debian.org).
>

> I'll have a look into that. Hope they don't just pull out the current
> git version instead of a release.

Not sure I've understood, but the git repository is only used to keep track
of the Debian-related modifications (those under "debian/"), and,
additionally, it holds a convenience copy of the upstream sources (imported
from the upstream tarball) to ease building. Have a look at
http://git.debian.org for some examples (our packages are those under the
pkg-multimedia namespace).

Cheers

--