Re: RFS: xnoise (2nd try)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 04:58:17PM +0200, shuerhaaken wrote:
> >  + IMHO the Section should be "sound" instead of "x11".
>
> "sound" doesn't seem to fit right, because xnoise is a media player
> and also does video. If you find something more fitting, please
> comment.

Duh. Makes sense... Some similar packages (e.g. banshee and amarok) are in
"sound", but I can't say what's the best solution.

> >  + It may be a good idea to split the plugins in a separate package,
> >  something like xnoise-plugins. It would move some of the Depends out of
> >  the main package, so that users are not forced to install them all if not
> >  needed. You may then Suggests or Recommends it from the main package.
>
> Now, I splitted the xnoise-plugins into a seperate package, but I'm
> not really happy with that. Xnoise will be able to run without them,
> but these are kind of core plugins that I'd prefer to deliver with the
> xnoise package. Please comment.

That's what Suggests/Recommends are made for. E.g. Rhythmbox Recommends
rhythmbox-plugins, quodlibet Suggests quodlibet-plugins... From Policy §7.2
"The Recommends field should list packages that would be found together with
this one in all but unusual installations": seems what you need.

My suggestion was mainly based on personal preference (I like to choose if I
actually want the plugins or not, if they are not strictly needed) and on
what other packages do. It is not a requirement, hence you can do whatever
you want.

> > - debian/xnoise.install:
> >  + This lists "usr/lib/xnoise/*.so", isn't that file better installed in
> >  the -dev package?
>
> No, the library contains all functionality and is part of the xnoise
> package. The /usr/bin/xnoise binary is only used to start the program.
> Having the program in a library allows me to do more automated
> testing.

IIRC, the *.so file is just a symlink to the actual library. Usually the
*.so symlinks are shipped in the -dev packages along with all the header
files, because they are only needed at build time.

Btw, the package didn't show up on mentors.d.n yet, hence I couldn't check
the modifications you did (it may just be a problem of mentors.d.n... it
happens sometimes).

Final suggestion (I forgot to say this in the previous email), you may want
to join the Debian Multimedia Team [0] to maintain this package (it
would be easier for you to find an uploader and some help to maintain the
package). Please have a look at our policies [1] (maintain the package on
git using git-buildpackage, "Debian Multimedia Team" is the Maintainer and
you the Uploader, ...). If you are interested and ok with our workflow feel
free to subscribe and post this RFS to the team's mailing list [2] (you will
also need an account on alioth.debian.org).

> Thanks for testing!

You are welcome.

Cheers

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia