Re: RFS: xnoise (2nd try)

Hello Alessandro

> Duh. Makes sense... Some similar packages (e.g. banshee and amarok) are in
> "sound", but I can't say what's the best solution.

I'll look around what has been chosen for other media players.

> That's what Suggests/Recommends are made for. E.g. Rhythmbox Recommends
> rhythmbox-plugins, quodlibet Suggests quodlibet-plugins... From Policy §7.2
> "The Recommends field should list packages that would be found together with
> this one in all but unusual installations": seems what you need.
>
> My suggestion was mainly based on personal preference (I like to choose if I
> actually want the plugins or not, if they are not strictly needed) and on
> what other packages do. It is not a requirement, hence you can do whatever
> you want.

If that's the Debian way, I will just leave it like that and ship an
extra package for xnoise-plugins

> IIRC, the *.so file is just a symlink to the actual library.

Ok. Good point

> Btw, the package didn't show up on mentors.d.n yet, hence I couldn't check
> the modifications you did (it may just be a problem of mentors.d.n... it
> happens sometimes).

Hmm. I uploaded and it was visible here:
http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=xnoise
But I also couldn't get it via repo. So I'll upload again in a few
minutes.

> Final suggestion (I forgot to say this in the previous email), you may want
> to join the Debian Multimedia Team [0] to maintain this package (it
> would be easier for you to find an uploader and some help to maintain the
> package). Please have a look at our policies [1] (maintain the package on
> git using git-buildpackage, "Debian Multimedia Team" is the Maintainer and
> you the Uploader, ...). If you are interested and ok with our workflow feel
> free to subscribe and post this RFS to the team's mailing list [2] (you will
> also need an account on alioth.debian.org).

I'll have a look into that. Hope they don't just pull out the current
git version instead of a release.
Thanks for the hint!

best regards