Re: How to pass CFLAGS to upstream's Makefile with debhlepler ?

Nicolas Bourdaud <nicolas.bourdaud@gmail.com> writes:

> On 14/11/2011 14:32, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
>> Without -Wall you won't get some of the most "critical" warnings.
>> A package should really not be built without at least -Wall.
>
> I understand, and I think it is a pity that some software produce way
> too many warnings when compiled with -Wall and -Wextra.
>
> However is it not already too late to catch those warnings when the
> package is being built? IMO, they should have been taken care in
> upstream. Or do you consider to *massively* patch the source to fix the
> warnings?

Fix them? Not neccessarily. Certainly not all. But it makes it easier to
prod upstream into fixing them himself.

There's also no real harm in enabling -Wall. It makes build logs bigger
in the worst case. But the benefits, imo, far outweight that.