Re: How to pass CFLAGS to upstream's Makefile with debhlepler ?

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Nicolas Bourdaud wrote:
> However is it not already too late to catch those warnings when the
> package is being built? IMO, they should have been taken care in
> upstream. Or do you consider to *massively* patch the source to fix the

Upstream usually doesn't have access to nearly as many arches as you, as
a DD, will.

IME, -Wall and proper review of the autobuild build logs can root out
some bugs upstream would not be warned about by gcc in the arch they
develop for.  We often use newer gcc versions than upstream as well, and
that also means you could get warnings they won't because they're still
using an older gcc.

IMHO, if you are able to, you should patch the source _and_ send the
changes upstream.  You should then decide whether you should ship the
Debian package with those patches or not, and when in doubt, wait for
upstream.

  Henrique Holschuh