Re: git-buildpackage and tarballs

Le Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 03:27:39PM +0200, Antonio Ospite a écrit :

> I am a newbie about debian development, but I think that you generally
> want to have the possibility to make multiple iteration for the package
> metadata for the _same_ upstream release.
>
> In a native package every changes you make to the debian packaging
> metadata translates into a new upstream release, and this is not nice
> if you think to other distributions too.

This is excactly why I am limiting my recommendation to the case where there is
no upstream release as tarball.  In that sense, a new source package is still a
downstream event that is not indicative of an upstream release.

I am not sure that it is a situation that is to be avoided by newcomers.
Newcomers tend to work on new software, and new software tends to be
distributed on source hubs, increasingly without tarballs, instead of source
forges with tarballs.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy