Re: git-buildpackage and tarballs

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:41:34 +0900
Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:

> Le Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 01:29:57PM +0200, Jakub Wilk a écrit :
> >
> > Just because some developers choose to abuse native source format,
> > doesn't mean it's something that should be advocated to newcomers.
> > So please stop. Thanks.
>
> Apart from the point I raised about translations (for which I never read a
> complain from the translators themselves), what would be the problems ?  Using
> a ‘native’ format when there is no upstream tarball looks very appropriate to
> me.

I am a newbie about debian development, but I think that you generally
want to have the possibility to make multiple iteration for the package
metadata for the _same_ upstream release.

In a native package every changes you make to the debian packaging
metadata translates into a new upstream release, and this is not nice
if you think to other distributions too.

Am I wrong?

Regards,
   Antonio

--