git-buildpackage and tarballs

Hi,

For those of you using git-buildpackage (gbp), I have a question I
hope you can answer.

I've got a source tree for which I am the upstream author, it is under
version control using git.

It seems like it should be possible to use gbp to build the package
without having an actual tar ball. However, it appears that it is not.

I'm thinking of some pseudo commands such as the following:

git tag 1.0
git checkout debian
git-buildpackage --using-tag 1.0

I know that gbp does not have the 'using-tag' option, but again, is
there a reason that it cannot exist?

I'd rather not have to create a tarball just to check it in with
pristine-tar just to build the package.

Anyhow, thanks for setting me straight! :)

-mz