What version of debian to develop debian packages?

What version of debian must you have to develop debian packages?

mentors.debian.net complains about my standards version:
	W: libswe source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.9.1 (current is 3.9.2)

But if I set this version 3.9.2 on the control file
Then lintian on my local debian 6.0 system says:
W: libswe source: newer-standards-version 3.9.2 (current is 3.9.1)

Must I have some special version of debian to develop, or is there some
trick?

Thank You

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J