Re: What to do about the situation with id3v2

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Stefan Ott <stefan@ott.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 01:54, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> Draining the audio file tag reading swamp can only be a good idea.
>>
>> Please get some more testing done (by debian-user or where-ever)
>> before you embark on this project.
>
> Do you think it would be a reasonable approach to put together a
> working version of this and upload it to experimental? Or should I try
> to focus in finding testers outside of Debian?
>
> I'm asking because I think it's going to be non-trivial to find people
> who are willing to test a new tool that solves a problem which, for
> many people, doesn't seem to be extremely urgent.
>
> Anyway, if somebody on this list is interested in trying it out, you
> can get the current source code at http://src.ott.net/id3v2/ - most
> things (the build system, the included debian/ directory etc.) are
> still identical to upstream id3v2 but would of course be cleaned up if
> I were to actually try and do this right.
>
> Any feedback would be highly welcome.
>
> cheers
> --
> Stefan Ott
> http://www.ott.net/
>
> "You are not Grey Squirrel?"
>

> --

It seems more likely the maintainers of the original id3 project are
no longer active, instead of outright ignoring you. If you check their
VCS repository, they haven't been active for at least 2 years.

If as you say they haven't respond to you after several months, then I
would assume they won't be responding at all. In this case, I don't
see the harm in taking over the project, especially if you are making
improvements to it.

An upload to experimental is fine. If you think you have a release
that is production ready, an upload to unstable should be done
instead.

--
Regards,
Andres Mejia