Re: What to do about the situation with id3v2

Hello everyone

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 22:56, Andrew O. Shadoura <bugzilla@tut.by> wrote:
> You can also drop libid3 as it is now and write a wrapper around some
> better ID3 tagging library that has the same (or compatible) interface
> as libid3. Also, I'd merge id3 and id3v2 into one package, or even
> one binary, which would behave differently depending on its argv[0].

Well, here we are, several months later. I have since rewritten id3v2
to use taglib instead of libid3 and it seems to work reasonably well
[1]. I have informed upstream about my work but haven't received any
feedback so far. I thus assume that they are not particularly
interested in maintaining a thing that now consists of mostly my code
- I can't really blame them for that.

I also contacted several debian package maintainers whose packages use
libid3 and sent some patches along but so far without a whole lot of
success either. I guess they have more pressing things to worry about.

What this leaves me with, however, is an AFAICT working version of
id3v2 with support for id3v2.4 tags and nobody using it. After
re-reading this thread (and the last message in particular) I have now
come up with a cunning plan (which would probably have been obvious
from the very beginning to a greater mind): as I took over upstream
development of id3 [2] when I adopted the package, I'm thinking of
(ab)using that project for my id3v2 fork and replacing the debian id3
and id3v2 packages with this great new hopefully-working thing,
probably calling the new package "id3" again. Once that is done, I
intend to orphan libid3 to make it obvious to everyone who still uses
it that they should seriously consider switching to something else
instead.

I realize that replacing a perfectly working little tool like id3 with
my mostly untested id3v2 fork might not be the nicest thing to do, but
at the moment it's the best solution I can come up with. Thus I was
wondering if any of you have any comments on this. Reasonble idea? The
most stupid thing you've heard in a while? Something in between? Any
feedback would be welcome.

[1] http://src.ott.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=id3v2;a=summary
[2] http://id3.googlecode.com/

cheers