Re: RFS: roxterm (updated package)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:44:03 +0200
Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:

> * Kan-Ru Chen <koster@debian.org>, 2011-09-14, 11:29:
> >>
> >>That is, more or less, what's happening, so I'll move the bug to
> >>libvte9. In case that takes a long time to fix should I manually
> >>override the dependency?
> >
> >Yes you can, just put the right version in Depends.
>
> This is an excellent recipe to make the Release Team hate you, though.
>
> >However this means when building with older version of libvte one
> >has to manually adjust the Depends field as well.
>
> Wait, you don't want to build your package against *older* versions.
> And if you even can do that, then your build-depends is broken.
>
> What is troublesome in such case is building against a *newer*
> version, with potentially different SONAME. That's why you should
> never put shared libraries you're linking against explicitly in
> Depends. If anything, use Breaks for this purpose.

I agree, there's a stronger argument to leave roxterm alone than to try
to work around someone else's bug. Anyone with access to roxterm 2.*
should also easily be able to upgrade to unstable's vte.

> That said, #641123 really looks like a serious bug in vte.

Should I upgrade the report, do you think? In any case it might be a
good idea to mark it as affects roxterm.