Re: Depends on -dev package

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> [110823 22:49]:
> I agree with your line of reasoning, but I'd rather be explicit about such
> things rather than relying on everyone separately coming to the same
> conclusion.

I think one has to be careful about what special cases to describe, as
every special case mentioned makes it either harder to decide other
special cases, or opens the door for many other special cases.

Should we then also list -data packages not usually depending on the
non-data package and not the other way around. How about documents
depending on viewers but not viewers depending on documents?
And so on and so forth...

> (My inclination would be to write an explicit exception into
> Policy saying that C -dev packages do not have to declare dependencies on
> any package that's part of build-essential.)

build-essential is quite big. I'd really hate to see this.

	Bernhard R. Link