Re: Depends on -dev package

"Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:
> * Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> [110822 19:59]:

>> That's a fascinating point.  I have never done that with any -dev
>> package, since essentially every -dev package would require that, which
>> seems rather silly.  (There are almost no non-trivial C libraries that
>> don't include standard C headers.)  But there's no obvious reason why
>> that shouldn't be required given the current Policy wording.

> Which wording are you talking about?

There are not, so far as I know, any exceptions for -dev packages from the
normal requirements for Depends, which say simply:

    The Depends field should be used if the depended-on package is
    required for the depending package to provide a significant amount of
    functionality.

and given that C -dev packages are unusable in general without libc6-dev
installed, that would, on the surface, seem to qualify.