Re: Depends on -dev package

Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> writes:

> I quote from Debian Library Packaging guide
>> 2. -DEV package dependencies
>>
>> The -DEV package would usually declare Depends: relationship on all -DEV
>> packages for libraries that the library package directly depends upon,
>> with the specific SONAME version that the library package is linked
>> against. This includes libc-dev. [5]

> Does this mean that if my library has an include reference
> #include <stdio.h>
> in one of its .c or .h files, then my -dev package must have a depends line
> like this in its debian/control file:
> Depends: OTHER-STUFF, libc6-dev

That's a fascinating point.  I have never done that with any -dev package,
since essentially every -dev package would require that, which seems
rather silly.  (There are almost no non-trivial C libraries that don't
include standard C headers.)  But there's no obvious reason why that
shouldn't be required given the current Policy wording.

I think this should probably be raised as a Policy bug so that we can
clarify this one way or the other.