Please advice about symbols versioning (was Re: How to close bug #620550?
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Please advice about symbols versioning (was Re: How to close bug #620550?
- From: KURASHIKI Satoru <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:44:28 +0900
- Message-id: <[🔎] firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <CAM0xXk-k4L5y-WWRduZjVkUgAK9LEOEfRUdX8R=g-J=bvOQbPw@mail.gmail.com>
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAM0xXk-k4L5y-WWRduZjVkUgAK9LEOEfRUdX8R=g-J=bvOQbPw@mail.gmail.com>
At Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:40:52 +0900,
Satoru KURASHIKI wrote:
> > Yes. That bug is definitely RC. IMO it should be cloned into two
> > bugs:
> > 1. qdbm should not provide gdbm emulation (except perhaps in
> > a separate, separately-installable, .so, although why you'd
> > want to use that in Debian is far from clear)
> > This bug is RC.
> I want to make libqdbm14 dropping gdbm emulation, and add a new
> exclusive libqdbm14-gdbm package to provide compatibility for people who
> uses its gdbm emulation. But, I have trouble with packaging to satisfy
> dpkg-gensymbols, and stop packaging there...
Current version of libqdbm14 (1.8.77-4) has gdbm emulation,
and it will be dropped as,
1) libqdbm14 -> libqdbm15 (w/o gdbm emulation)
libqdbm14-gdbm (w/ gdbm emulation)
2) libqdbm14 -> libqdbm14 (w/ gdbm emulation)
libqdbm15-??? (w/o gdbm emulation)
3) libqdbm14 -> libqdbm15 (w/o gdbm emulation)
libqdbm15-gdbm (w/ gdbm emulation)
According to debian policy 8.1, removing symbols should bump
library ABI version. Which of above (or other) is better way?