Re: RFS: mactelnet

Hi Håkon,

On 11.08.2011 01:27, Håkon Nessjøen wrote:
> is a "git log > Changelog" good enough?

Depends how verbose you are in your changelogs and if the reader can
denote the package _version_ from your git logs.

For what its worth, it is to note, an upstream changelog is certainly no
requirement to get your package into Debian.

>> In debian/rules, you can remove the commented Vcs-*
>>

> Thought about adding the collab-maint alioth vcs here. Someone tipsed me
> that I should add the debian changes to a public vcs.
> Is this a bad idea?

No. Thats absolutely right. However you should point to such a VCS only,
if you are actually using it.
This has not to be Alioth by the way[*], if you are using your own
repository for Debian packaging that's fine as well.
Please note, you should /NOT/ put the debian/ directory into your
release tarballs. Hence you should use another branch for your debian
packaging. Consequently your VCS-* links should point to the repository
where your Debian packaging is done.

> Any tips on how I would work this out without changing it upstream?

You can override an appropriate dh call and replace it by something
completely custom, semantically equivalent. That's helpful if you can't
get dh_installdocs to do the right thing, and its only purpose is your
README file. For example, you could do:

override_dh_installdocs:
    install README.markdown debian/{package}/usr/share/doc/{package}/README

If your README file applies to every package you build, repeat the
procedure for each package. Alternative ways exist, maybe even simpler
approaches.

> Thanks again for all your tips!

I'm really happy you gave not up yet. I'd really like to see your
package in Debian.

[*] Some sponsors may disagree and have their own guidelines.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll
IRC: daemonkeeper on Freenode/OFTC