Re: different version numbers?

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:13:56PM -0500, Paul Elliott wrote:
> All the different versions numbers make my brain hurt!

It'll be better soon. ;-)

> What is the relationship, if any, between the version number of the source
> pachage and the version number of a library, which has to do with SONAME.

Library versions are described in

Versions at large are covered in
including the description of where source/upstream version number goes and
what the debian_revision is.

> What do these have to do with PACKAGE_VERSION in autotools?

That should be upstream's version in the source for most if not all cases.

> My up stream, has version number associated with his source tarballs,
> that have nothing to do with debian or Linux, because he does not develop
> with Linux in mind. All though he does build a Linux static library.

There's a number of upstreams that don't target Debian but still have their
source distributed with it. The general rules (like version numbers always
increment) still apply though.

Best regards,