Re: RFS: cityhash - family of non-cryptographic hash functions for strings

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:20:21AM +0200, Kilian Krause wrote:
> Hi Alessandro,

Hi,

> On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 18:44 +0200, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 03:57:58PM +0200, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> > > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "cityhash".
> > >
> > > * Package name    : cityhash
> > >   Version         : 1.0.2-1
> > >   Upstream Author : Geoff Pike and Jyrki Alakuijala (Google, Inc.)
> > > * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/cityhash/
> > > * License         : Expat
> > >   Section         : libs
> > >
> > > It builds these binary packages:
> > > libcityhash-dev - family of non-cryptographic hash functions for strings (dev files)
> > > libcityhash0 - family of non-cryptographic hash functions for strings
> > >
> > > The package appears to be lintian clean.
> > >
> > > The upload would fix these bugs: 627620 (ITP)
> > >
> > > My motivation for maintaining this package is: The cityhash algorithms have
> > > been proved to outperform other similar algorithms like MurmurHash in many
> > > situations, and the library is really easy to use. I think it would be a
> > > valuable addition to the Debian archive.
> > >
> > > The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
> > > - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
> > > - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/cityhash/cityhash_1.0.2-1.dsc
> > >
> > > I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me.
> >
> > Ping?
>
> Here's my comments:
>
> - you still use debhelper 7. Any reason not to upgrade to 8? That
> version is in Debian stable and there's a backports.d.o too in case
> that'd be a requirement of yours.

Nope, no particular reason. I've updated to debhelper 8 now.

> - There is no -dbg package. I guess you'll want to read
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebugPackage. Please add one.

Added.

> - Your -dev package description doesn't mention that you also ship the
> static lib (which is very good IMHO!). Please mention it. And if you
> can, please shorten the short Description line a bit. It currently wraps
> around on narrow terminals.

The description now mentions that the package ships the static library.
I've also shortened the short description of the -dev package (not sure if
it's ok).

> - Please also include a symbols file for your library to watch over the
> ABI and to change the SONAME in case it's broken by upstream.

I had some problems with the symbols because they are different between
32bit and 64bit architectures. Anyway I've re-added the *.symbols file,
following what dpkg-gensymbols(1) suggests for this case, and it seems to
work (I've tried only on amd64 and i386 though).

> Otherwise good work. Please try to get the above in shape so that we can
> put it into the archive.

Thank you for your review. I've uploaded the new package to mentors.d.n (the
changes are also available on the git repository).

Cheers

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'