Re: Stripping non-free/unnecessary files out of orig.tar.gz

On 06/15/2011 03:27 PM, Kilian Krause wrote:

> Definitely. And name your version with suffix +debian or ~debian as you
> see fit.

We are very often using +dfsg in the version, as in:

<upstream-version>+dfsg<dfsg-version>-<debian-release>

This way, you have the possibility to have <dfsg-version> to be
increased if some day,
you find out that you missed a binary file that shouldn't be there.

It's better, IMHO to call it +dfsg that just +debian, because it will
eventually make it
to other derivatives (Ubuntu, etc.). And it tells specifically that your
version is totally
free, and respects the Debian Free Software Guidelines, rather than
saying it is
Debian specific. Generally, when we see "dfsg" in a version, we
understand that some
things have been removed to make it free.

>> As for building, well, ideally the removed stuff shouldn't be in your
>> build tree either... you could probably just unpack the new orig tarball
>> (and copy over the debian/ files) to get a clean tree, if you need to.
>> For new upstream releases, if you use get-orig-source along with uupdate
>> (or a VCS), this should then happen automatically.
>>
> That's exactly the way I have maintained "problematic" debs for a long
> time in Debian. Should thus be ok.

I would also like to highlight that you shouldn't avoid to store
non-free stuff in
git.debian.org as well if possible (generally, it is possible to do so).
The get-orig-source
is a good place to generate the tarball, but then make sure you only
import the
modified archive content into Git, if you are doing your packaging in
git.d.o.

In few cases, I just used a shell script, as I thought it was more
convenient to use.
But nothing prevents from calling that shell script from the
get-orig-source target
(which I lamely failed doing in Extplorer...).

I hope that helps,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)