Re: RFS: cityhash - family of non-cryptographic hash functions for strings

Hi Alessandro,

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 18:44 +0200, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 03:57:58PM +0200, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "cityhash".
> >
> > * Package name    : cityhash
> >   Version         : 1.0.2-1
> >   Upstream Author : Geoff Pike and Jyrki Alakuijala (Google, Inc.)
> > * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/cityhash/
> > * License         : Expat
> >   Section         : libs
> >
> > It builds these binary packages:
> > libcityhash-dev - family of non-cryptographic hash functions for strings (dev files)
> > libcityhash0 - family of non-cryptographic hash functions for strings
> >
> > The package appears to be lintian clean.
> >
> > The upload would fix these bugs: 627620 (ITP)
> >
> > My motivation for maintaining this package is: The cityhash algorithms have
> > been proved to outperform other similar algorithms like MurmurHash in many
> > situations, and the library is really easy to use. I think it would be a
> > valuable addition to the Debian archive.
> >
> > The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
> > - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
> > - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/cityhash/cityhash_1.0.2-1.dsc
> >
> > I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me.
>
> Ping?

Here's my comments:

- you still use debhelper 7. Any reason not to upgrade to 8? That
version is in Debian stable and there's a backports.d.o too in case
that'd be a requirement of yours.

- There is no -dbg package. I guess you'll want to read
http://wiki.debian.org/DebugPackage. Please add one.

- Your -dev package description doesn't mention that you also ship the
static lib (which is very good IMHO!). Please mention it. And if you
can, please shorten the short Description line a bit. It currently wraps
around on narrow terminals.

- Please also include a symbols file for your library to watch over the
ABI and to change the SONAME in case it's broken by upstream.

Otherwise good work. Please try to get the above in shape so that we can
put it into the archive.

--
Cheers,
Kilian