Re: RFS: bubblemon (updated package)

* Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk>, 2011-05-15, 16:26:
W: bubblemon: unknown-locale-code sh

This one is tad harder. If I understand it correctly, "sh" is a deprecated language code for Serbo-Croatian. You could install this language file as "sr@latin", "hr", or both. (I hope there's at least one -mentors@ reader from Serbia or Croatia who'll correct me if I'm talking nonsense.)

Yes, I tried searching for the correct way to handle this, but didn't
find anything conclusive.

Changing stuff that involves countries and languages can be sensitive,
so I didn't feel it would be good to change it without a clear answer.

I'm reasonably certain the file which currently named sh.po should work for both sr@latin and hr locales. OTOH, if it's shipped as-is, it's useless for anybody (unless they hack their libc).

I understand your fear to touch language stuff (even though it's unfounded in this case :P), but please at least forward this issue upstream if you didn't do so already.

- The item about new upstream release could be improved a bit. "New upstream release. (Closes: #567423, #625314)" could make people think that there were two bugs requesting a new upstream release... which is obviously not the case here.

Oh, ah. Yes, you're right, I didn't think of it that way.

How about being more explicit? E.g. you could use something like this:

| * New upstream release.
|   + Update Portugese translation (closes: #567423). Thanks to Américo
|     Monteiro for the patch.
|   + Fix FTBFS with GCC 4.6 (closes: #625314). Thanks to Matthias Klose
|     for the bug report.

I guess I was too focused on debian/changelog being about changes to the packaging and not to the software itself. I agree it is much nicer to include information about what the closed bugs were; thanks.

Should I summarize the rest of the changes to the software as well?

It's not necessary. (I know some maintainers do that, and I find it quite nice, but I never bothered to do it for my own packages.)

I feel a little awkward about thanking the translator and bug-reporter,
though, because their contributions have been integrated by upstream and not by me, rendering my thanking them a hollow gesture.

This is of course up to you.

--
Jakub Wilk