Re: Request for sponsor: mactelnet

Hi Håkon,

On 01.05.2011 12:59, Håkon Nessjøen wrote:
> What about the extra tools like mndp and macping? Should they be
> included in both? Or a third mactelnet-tools package?

I think those are useful for the client side only, right? If so, you can
ship them in the -client package.

> How? Should I just register a guest account?

Yes. As soon as you did, you may ask to join collab-maint. Provinding
your ITP along with your aim why you would like to use collab-maint
ought to be enough.

This is not strictly required and you, being the upstream source as well
might wonder: Why can't I just use my own VCS I use to develop
mactelnet? The answer is: This is discouraged on part of Debians side as
your upstream debian/ directory might differ to Debian's debian/
directory on a certain point. Think about NMUs, security updates and so
on. I can't recall official places where this is considered, maybe
someone else knows. Moreover the quilt 3.0 format removes them anyway.

> If not OpenSSL, do you have any tips for crypto libraries i should use?
> Would it be so bad to use the md5.h implementation used right now, if
> I add the copyrights to the copyright file?

Not, that's not bad and since you don't embed a full library this is
also no policy violation. It would just avoid redundancy and minimize
the risk of doing something wrong (or the author which programmed
 it actually), whereas well known libraries are audited by many people.

You could use GnuTLS for example.

> But I see what you're thinking. But I would like to provide the same
> tools that Mikrotik does on their RouterOS.

Alternatives won't hurt. This is what free software is about.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll
GnuPG Key-ID: 0x9D80F36D