Re: docs are generated on all build machines

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 9:44 AM, The Fungi <fungi@yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 10:21:57AM +0200, Michael Wild wrote:
> [...]
>> I'd like the docs only to be built *once* on the build server, not for
>> every architecture, since they are architecture independent and building
>> them for every architecture would waste hours of time.
> [...]
>
> For the moment at least, architecture-independent packages are not
> intended to be built on any build server, but should be uploaded
> along with your source and the architecture-dependent packages for
> whichever architecture you're uploading your original build. This is
> signified by declaring the doc package "Architecture: all" rather
> than "Architecture: any" in your debian/control file. See section
> 4.1 of the New Maintainers' Guide and section 5.6.8 of the Debian
> Policy Manual:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/dreq.en.html#control
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Architecture
>
> --

I think his package is already Arch:all.  I believe the bug is
specifically referring to:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules

Properly choosing the right binary-indep target to depend on a
build-indep target that builds the documentation only.

this way dpkg-buildpackage will build both the source code and
documentation (binary target, what you run on your machine before
uploading)
dpkg-buildpackage -A will only build the documentation (binary-indep target)
dpkg-buildpackage -B will only build the source code (binary-arch
target, which is used by the autobuilders) [1]

for more info see:
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/dreq.en.html#rules

"If your package is architecture independent (for example, a shell or
Perl script, or a document), change this to all, and read later in
Section 4.4, “rules file” about using the binary-indep rule instead of
binary-arch for building the package."

The fix is to have  binary-arch and binary-indep targets for the
source code and documentation, respectively.

[1]http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/build.en.html#autobuilder

Cheers,
Scott