Re: docs are generated on all build machines

On 04/01/2011 12:50 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> writes:

>>   It says that I am building the doc package on all buildd machine,
>> while I should not. I do not understand how i can achieve a portable
>> solution.
>
> The bug report tells you what needs to be done: specify the build
> targets correctly.
>
>> How do i detect that I am on a buildd machine and I should not rebuild
>> the doc package ?
>
> That's not what is being requested; rather, your package should specify
> that it doesn't need to be built on all architectures (and hence not on
> all the buildd architectures).

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have a question very much related
to this issue.

I'm fairly new to packaging and just filed my first ITP, and was
wondering about this problem too. In my case, I would need to set
different configure flags depending on whether the documentation should
be built or not since the default target also builds the docs if
enabled. I would like to avoid building the docs (as opposed to just not
building the package), since it is a pretty lengthy process. How would I
achieve that? Separate build trees? Or moving the configure step into
the various build steps, and just reconfigure every time?

Thanks

Michael