Re: upstream source with debian directory

Hi Jérémy

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:13:31PM +0100, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> On 25/02/2011 10:44, Harald Jenny wrote:
> > Hi Paul
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 07:48:13AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> >> If you weren't using git I would say use dpkg-source v3 which removes
> >> any upstream debian/ dir during the unpack process.
> >
> > Well using v3 format does indeed solve the problem for the user which is not a
> > bad thing either :-).
> >

> >> With git I'm not sure but I'd be inclined to just resolve conflicts,
> >> continue the merge and maybe send upstream some patches.
> >
> > I have also access to the upstream git tree so (after discussion with the main
> > maintainers) I may merge the changes myself.
> >
> >> Now that
> >> upstream is also using git you can probably just switch from
> >> git-import-orig to git pull and pristine-tar.
> >
> > You don't have some Howto lying around making going into the detail in here?
>
> If the content of the debian dir is not usable and a pain to merge,
> as that sometimes can be the case, there is also the possibility to filter
> it out with some debian/gbp.conf :

Well the content is not that bad but as upstream changes it more or less often
I normally rather tend to incoporate usefull changes by hand.

> [DEFAULT]
> pristine-tar = True
>
> [git-import-orig]
> filter = debian/*
> filter = lib/*
> filter-pristine-tar = True

This sounds very interesting - and as the package already uses v3 there should
also be no problem for people who want to rebuild it from upstream source...
without the filter-pristine-tar the pristine tar will still continue the debian
directory I guess?

> Then git-import-orig won't import the upstream content in the debian dir :
> no merge, no conflicts.

Thanks for this hint!

> Jérémy.

Kind regards