Re: upstream source with debian directory

On 25/02/2011 10:44, Harald Jenny wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 07:48:13AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>> If you weren't using git I would say use dpkg-source v3 which removes
>> any upstream debian/ dir during the unpack process.
>
> Well using v3 format does indeed solve the problem for the user which is not a
> bad thing either :-).
>

>> With git I'm not sure but I'd be inclined to just resolve conflicts,
>> continue the merge and maybe send upstream some patches.
>
> I have also access to the upstream git tree so (after discussion with the main
> maintainers) I may merge the changes myself.
>
>> Now that
>> upstream is also using git you can probably just switch from
>> git-import-orig to git pull and pristine-tar.
>
> You don't have some Howto lying around making going into the detail in here?

If the content of the debian dir is not usable and a pain to merge,
as that sometimes can be the case, there is also the possibility to filter
it out with some debian/gbp.conf :

[DEFAULT]
pristine-tar = True

[git-import-orig]
filter = debian/*
filter = lib/*
filter-pristine-tar = True

Then git-import-orig won't import the upstream content in the debian dir :
no merge, no conflicts.

Jérémy.