Re: RFS: libmk4-2

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Eugene V. Lyubimkin <jackyf@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Bastien,
>
> On 2011-02-24 15:07, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>> Version         : 2.4.9.7-1
>
>> It builds these binary packages:
>> libmk4-2   - MetaKit embeddable database -- shared libraries
>> libmk4-2-dbg - debugging symbols for libmk4
>> libmk4-2-dev - MetaKit embeddable database -- development files
>
> I think it would be better to use same description style for
> libmk4-2-dbg, e.g. "MetaKit embeddable database -- debug symbols"
>
>> My motivation for maintaining this package is: - I have a boring bugs
>> on akregator that is akregator use metakit embeded on it 613522.  - I
>> have corrected and submitted a patch for fixing this bug on metakit
>> upstream (return an exception of corrupted file) - Plan to fix
>> akregator
>
> Do you intend to maintain this library in Debian if/after this fix for
> akregator is uploaded?

I will made the fix myself. It is a medium term fix. Long term fix it
to reimplement akregator using akonadi but it a huge work (see kmail).
I plan to maintain metakit until fixed akregator go removed to old
stable.

akragator use a embeded copy of metakit and I plan to use the so lib
instead of static linking.

>> Please note I have used last version on svn as base, because upstream
>> will not release new version for fixing these kind of bugs.
>
> This is a worrying thing. They did the last release on June 2007. They
> consider it stable despite (presumably) long-known crash bug. Looks like
> an abandonware. Do they have any bugzilla? Will they fix (other) severe
> bugs if there will be any?

Upstream answer by email but is not willing to do plain release. The
project is not an abandonware but is set in low maintenance mode. They
will fix other bugs in svn if we send patch. And they will help to
diagnotic if we give test cases.

Thanks for the  libmk4-2-dbg, e.g. "MetaKit embeddable database --
debug symbols", will correct it after a few rounds of comments by
other dd.

Bastien