Re: RFS: volumeicon

CC'ing -mentors

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Andrew Gainer <gainer.andrew@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks once again for your help. Just one question, now:
>
>> Ah, that means that you're doing a -lfontconfig, but it's not being
>> called anywhere in the code. It's a warning from your linker, just
>> letting you know that the ELF will be linked against something that
>> can (and should) be removed.
>>
>> You can tweek the build flags for that guy (totally worth doing!)
>>

> On investigation, it appears that the problem comes from these three lines in the Makefile.in files:
> GTK_CFLAGS = @GTK_CFLAGS@
> GTK_LIBS = @GTK_LIBS@
> LIBS = @GTK_LIBS@ @ALSA_LIBS@
> where $(LIBS) and $(GTK_CFLAGS) are used later in the actual invocations of the compiler and linker. The variables @GTK_CFLAGS@ and @GTK_LIBS@ are being replaced with calls to lots of libraries, most of which are not needed.
> I don't know much about the Automake system or GTK, so I'm not sure what the correct fix is. For now, I've simply added a patch which replaces the above lines with
> GTK_CFLAGS = -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include
> -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
> -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
> GTK_LIBS = -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
> LIBS = $(GTK_LIBS) $(ALSA_LIBS)
> This seems to represent a minimal subset of the included libraries which are actually required (at least on my system). With this patch in place, debuild runs cleanly and without the warnings. However, I have no idea whether this is the correct response or a fragile/system-specific/generally awful patch. Can you comment?
>
> --Andrew

Yeah, that can be a bit finikey. It's not the end of the world for
sure, but you might want to look into `pkg-config' to do some of the
work for you :)

It might also be good to test with binutils-gold. I think I have that
on my system -- could be why it worked without error here :)

Cheers!
Paul

--
All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.

#define sizeof(x) rand()
:wq