Re: would like review of my polipo-tor packaging

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM,
<travis+ml-debian-mentors@subspacefield.org> wrote:
>> Standards-Version: 3.8.4 should be 3.9.1
>
> I used the dh tools to make this, and I've seen debuild complain
> about this, but really didn't know what I should be doing in this
> case - funny thing is, both tools were up-to-date from teh ubuntu
> repo.  Is a text edit in order, or something else need doing?

Yes, you can change it with a text editor [1]. If you're not including
it in Debian, this is a minor issue. It mostly just lets us (and you)
know the last time the maintainer made sure it was policy compliant.
You should recheck and bump that every new policy version.

> I doubt the package will make it into the debian repo, since the
> prereqs aren't even there - TOR hasn't gotten their act together
> yet.  So not sure if merging everything into one changelog makes
> sense yet.  It's certainly been in my repo for a while, and been
> through a couple of changes.

"TOR not having their act together" - does that mean that they haven't
released a stable version yet or that no stable package is in Debian?
Would you be interested in packaging and maintaining TOR in Debian?

If you're not planning on having this in Debian, then changelog also
doesn't matter. But, in general, your first official Debian changelog
will simply be "New packaging (Closes: #{ITP_BUG_NUMBER})" with no
other entries, and targeting the unstable distribution.

References [2-3] are good to check out to get more information.

Cheers,
Scott

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Standards-Version
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html