Re: common source package for use in Debian and Ubuntu

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Joachim Wiedorn wrote:
>> Ok, but how should I manage the last changelog entry (in time frame and
>> in handling)?
>>
>> Debian should have e.g:
>>    lilo (1:23.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
>> and then Ubuntu should have e.g:
>>    lilo (1:23.1-1ubuntu1) natty; urgency=low
>>
>>    lilo (1:23.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
>>
>> and the last Ubuntu changelog usually have some ubuntu specific bug fix
>> entries. Or should I write the ubuntu bugfixes into the Debian part of
>> changelog?
>
> Packages can be synced into Ubuntu without having any Ubuntu-specific
> changelog. Look for example:
> http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/s/smartmontools/smartmontools_5.39.1+svn3124-2/changelog
>
> It's a normal Debian changelog, yet it's part of Ubuntu.
>
> So use your changelog like usual and yes you should put Ubuntu bugfixes
> and Debian bugfixes in the same changelog entry. Don't create fake Ubuntu
> entries.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer
>
> Follow my Debian News ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.com (English)
>                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)
>

> --

When I was doing this for Fluxbox, the command dpkg-vendor ( usage in
my case: `dpkg-vendor --derives-from Ubuntu' ) came in really useful.

It helps to act as a switch for such things as themes.

Hope that helps!
-Paul

--
All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.

#define sizeof(x) rand()
:wq